The committee of the Denis Rankin Round will be accepting notifications of attempts on the Round from 15th June 2020, but this will be subject to you accepting and putting into practice the following advice.
We have made this decision in recognition that travelling to the Mournes for exercise and outdoor activities is now permissible under the government measures to reduce the spread of COVID- 19, but we are mindful of the advice to stay local and avoid unnecessary journeys and at all times to practice social distancing and avoid unnecessary strain on emergency services.
The committee has decided to remove the Denis Rankin Round from ITRA. All future completions will not be submitted to award runner points. (Sometimes known as UTMB points).
Our objective in joining ITRA back in 2016 was to incentivise Irish runners as there were few ITRA points races in Ireland. This has certainly helped with the success of the round. We feel it has served its purpose and the round is now popular enough to sustain itself with runners simply looking to attempt the round in its true spirit; the spirit of a long-distance fell running challenge.
We know that many runners are planning attempts in the months ahead. We look forward to hearing your plans and wish you well in your training.
The committee has also met to discuss when rounds will be allowed post COVID-19 lockdown. Please expect a statement next Monday (8th June).
By: Niall Gibney
“Why on earth do you want to do it in Winter?”asked my wife,
Helen when I broached the idea. “Because no-one else has completed it in Winter,”
was my reply, and that more or less set the tone for doing the round. But this
time, I’m going anticlockwise!” I added, trying to convey some sort of sensible
reasoning/rationale to Helen about my latest mountain running quest.
We expect round attempts will be allowed in the coming months as the lockdown measures relax. Once this is the case, we will post an update to this news feed.
In the meantime, stay safe when you’re in the hills.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the DRR committee recommends postponing round attempts until the current national restrictions on movement have been lifted. Successful rounds will not be ratified during this time.
We would also ask you to review this statement by the Mourne Mountain Rescue Team.
The mountains will still be there when this difficult time has passed. Stay safe.