- The Denis Rankin Round is to be completed on foot within a 24 hr period.
- The start and finish is the white entrance arch to Donard car park in Newcastle.
- The route traverses all the significant Mourne peaks, over 400m in height, in a fixed order, either in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction. See the ‘Route’ tab
- There is no fixed route between the peaks and participants are responsible for ensuring there is permitted access along their route.
- The challenge may be completed individually or in groups with accompanying runners and meeting support teams for food/refreshments encouraged.
- Touch each summit cairn.
Before attempting the Rankin Round
Prepare well – this is a demanding high mountain challenge on rough and remote terrain, with a total distance around 90km (56 miles) and over 6500m (20,000 ft) of ascent.
- Register 24 hours before your attempt using the email on the ‘Contact’ page.
- Registration should include:
- Date & start time (Revisions to date/time should also be submitted.)
- Direction (clockwise or anticlockwise)
- Supported or Unsupported (See *Further information)
- Be ready to deal with injuries, exhaustion or poor weather conditions. (Mobile phone reception is patchy along the route.)
- Be sensible about equipment with individual full body cover, map, compass, whistle, food, first aid, headtorch etc.
Submit evidence that you completed the route successfully by emailing the committee with the following:
- Personal Information: Full name, Gender, Date of birth, Nationality, City, Club, Postal address (required for the member’s certificate)
- Timing Data: Start & Finish time, Completion time and GPX file
- Supporting evidence: Independent witness statements, Summit photographs
- We also recommend the use of a Primal Tracking for fast rounds. This will speed-up the ratification process.
The committee will have the final say on accepting the evidence but we will expect competitors to enter the event within the spirit of fell running events.
- Complete a brief report (MS Word format)
- Details of successful rounds will be posted on the website
This is a personal challenge where competitors individually are responsible for their own safety. The Denis Rankin Round committee does not accept any responsibility of any nature or kind for loss, damage or injury suffered by a participant who takes part in or attempts the Denis Rankin Round.
During the registration process, the committee asks if the round is to be support or unsupported. This information is not used to differentiated completion times, more to build a picture of the round attempt. For the purposes of their report, some members may state if a round is Supported/Unsupported. Clarification on what constitutes either is listed below:
|Supported:||Met at road crossings or on the course with gear/food.|
|Unsupported:||Completely self-sufficient with no outside help in the form of another runner carrying or supplying gear/food/navigation. Moral support at road crossings is encouraged.|
|Winter Round:||1st December through to 23:59 on the last day of February.|